Fundamentals of Data Storytelling
Data storytelling builds compelling narratives that have a basis in complex data and analytics: these will help tell the story, which in turn will influence and inform a particular audience.
Data storytelling provides deeper insights and supporting evidence for given hypotheses through visualisations like graphs and charts. It can simplify complicated information so your audience can engage with your content and make critical decisions quicker and more confidently.
So if you are a data specialist and need to present the data in your role, this is the course for you.
In this course, you will become more confident and curious about using data in your day-to-day activities and understand the role data can play in creating a data story.
Examples, demonstrations and exercises may use common applications, including Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand what Data Storytelling is.
- Translate and clarify questions.
- Understand what the question means and how to ask it better.
- Work with underlying data quality.
- Build a meaningful insight.
- Define a hypothesis.
- Identify the audience.
- Build effective visuals.
- Creating a compelling narrative.
- Understand how to write formulas writing using standard functions
- Experience in creating or using charts and graphs
- Ideally, you should have attended the Fundamentals of Data Literacy (QADLFUND) course
Module 1: What is Data Storytelling?
- Why do data and analytics matter?
- What are the benefits of data storytelling?
- Converting insights into information?
Module 2: Asking better data questions
- What is a data question?
- Translate and clarify questions
Module 3: Underlying data quality
- Main data qualities
- Main types of data information
Module 4: Building an insight
- What is a hypothesis?
- Developing the hypothesis
- Actionable insight
Module 5: Identify the audience
- Who is my audience?
- Empathy mapping
Module 6: Building effective visuals
- Where can visualisations be used?
- Visualisation types
- Focussing attention
- How to emphasise the key points
Module 7: Creating the story
- Data narrative arc – telling the story!
- Building the storyboard