Mastering Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word provides a wide range of tools and features that are designed to be used when creating longer documents.
Whether you need to learn how to control formatting efficiently, manage tables and graphics or manipulate large quantities of text, this course will show you how. You will also learn how to create referencing content such as a table of contents and figures, work with footnotes and endnotes, captions, cross-references and indexes.
Later topics will cover how to use sections to control formatting so that you can effectively combine portrait and landscape pages, and to utilise changing headers, footers and page numbers throughout a document. You will also see how using fields to automate document content can benefit your workflow.
This course is suitable for anyone using Microsoft Word 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 or 2019. If you’re attending at a QA location, the course will be delivered on Word 2019.
- Work more effectively by using Quick Parts and customising the Word interface, as well as utilise shortcuts
- Format and control text and resolve common formatting issues
- Work with tables and graphics to control and manage them
- Create, apply and manage styles to format documents
- Incorporate referencing tools such as tables of contents and figures; captions, cross referencing and indexes; and use footnotes and endnotes
- Work with document sections to control page setup, headers/footers and page numbering
- Use mail merge to automate document creation
- Collaborate on documents and review changes and comments
- Attendees must be existing users of Microsoft Word. Whilst they do not have to currently be creating and working with long documents, they must be comfortable using the software and should have attended an Introduction level course or have equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Attendees should be able to create, edit and format basic documents, and be able to insert simple tables and graphics.
- This course is suitable for anyone using Word 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 or 2019. If you’re attending at a QA location, the course will be delivered on Word 2016.
Dual monitor setup is required for when attending this course via the QA Attend from Anywhere delivery method.
Module 1: Working effectively
- Navigating a document
- Selecting text
- Non-breaking characters
- Using Quick Parts
- Find and Replace options
- Customising Word
Module 2: Formatting text
- Controlling formatting
- Reveal Formatting
- Controlling paragraph behaviour
Module 3: Working with tables and graphics
- Table hints and tips
- Controlling graphics
Module 4: Working with styles
- Introducing styles
- Applying styles
- The Styles pane
- Viewing and printing styles
- Modifying styles
- Creating styles
Module 5: Reference tables
- Table of contents
- Captions and tables of figures
Module 6: Further reference tools
- Footnotes and endnotes
Module 7: Working with sections
- Introduction to sections
- Creating and formatting sections
- Mixing page orientation
- Newspaper columns
- Headers, footers, and page numbers
Module 8: Mail Merge
- Introducing mail merge
- Starting the merge
- Creating the main document
- Previewing and finishing the merge
Module 9: Collaboration
- Setting up for collaboration
- Tracking changes